Did you know that each year we in the UK eat in excess of 11.5 BILLION sandwiches and more than half of them are made at home? The RSPCA has quite rightly observed that "with many delicious fillings to choose from it’s easy to overlook animal welfare considerations when deciding what to put in your sandwich."
It was with this in mind that the RSPCA chose British Sandwich Week to launched their ‘Fairer Fillings’ campaign which hopes encourage sandwich lovers to choose higher welfare meat, fish and egg produce in their sandwiches.
Buying or making a sandwich with a ‘fairer filling’ can be a challenge and it can be difficult to find food on the go that contains higher welfare meat, or clear labelling that details how animals have been farmed but as consumers all of us have the power to make a big difference. Remember that even if you choose vegetarian fillings such as egg or cheese it is important to check how the animals providing the eggs and cheese have been treated beforehand.
To start with, please download RSPCA's Guide to Fairer Fillings (PDF)
If you’d like to do more, here are a few more ways RSPCA have come up with for you to help improve farm animal welfare:
- Campaign to high street sandwich retailers to ask them for higher welfare sandwich fillings.
- When shopping, look for a description of higher welfare on the packaging, e.g. Freedom Food.
- Swap a filling - if you usually make your lunch at home then take action on animal welfare by considering the fillings you buy at the supermarket or deli.
- Talk to your friends over lunch or a picnic about the benefits of buying higher welfare products and let them know about our Guide to Fairer Fillings.
- Visit our campaign website and have your say on our blog.
- Visit the Think Pig fan page on Facebook, become a fan of the campaign.
- Share the campaign with your friends on Facebook and Twitter with the links at the bottom of the page.
- Ask you local sandwich shops for ‘fairer fillings’ - we can help you with Simply Ask.